Company Voluntary Dissolution

Company Voluntary Dissolution or strike off procedure for limited companies

How does a company apply for a company voluntary dissolution or to be struck off the Register?

Complete and send Form DS01 to companies' house with a 10 filing fee: The Registrar will provide the form on request. However, striking-off is only applicable to a company if, in the past three months, it has not:

  • Traded or otherwise carried on business
  • Changed its name; disposed for value of property or rights that, immediately before ceasing to be in business or trade, it held for disposal or gain in the normal course of that business or trade
  • Engaged in any other activity except one necessary or expedient for making a striking-off application, settling the company's affairs or meeting a statutory requirement. A company can, however, apply if it has settled trading or business debts in the previous three months.

A company cannot apply to be struck off if it is the subject, or proposed subject, of:

  • Any insolvency proceedings such as liquidation, including where a petition has been presented but has not yet been dealt with); or
  • A section 895 scheme (that is a compromise or arrangement between a company and its creditors or members).

However, a company can apply for strike off if it has settled trading or business debts in the previous three months.

Before you take any action to put a company voluntary dissolution, you should obtain your own legal or financial advice about this procedure and any other options available to you. Please feel free to call us today or apply online for advice on compulsory liquidation