Contacting Your Tax Office

Advice on Contacting your TAX office

If the problem cannot be sorted out by talking to your employer, or looking on a website, the next step is to contact your tax office. Tax offices only deal with telephone and written enquiries and are not open to the public. If you need to see someone face-to-face, you will need to go to a Tax Enquiry Centre.

If you are employed, your tax office is the one that deals with your employer. It may be some distance from where you work. If you know your employer's tax reference number, you can use it to find the telephone number of the correct tax office. Go to the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website at If you do not know the tax reference number, your employer must give it to you if you ask for it. Or look on your payslip, P45 or P60.

If you are self-employed, or not in employment, your tax office depends on where you live. Look for the contact details on any letters or forms that you have received from HMRC. Alternatively, you will find a tax office locator at:

When you contact the tax office, you must be ready to quote your national insurance number and your employer's tax reference number. We offer a range of solutions tailored to the tax needs of small business and companies. Please feel free to call us or apply online for advice.