Where To Get Help With A Tax Problem

Advice on where to get help with a Tax problem

We offer a range of solutions tailored to the tax needs of small business and companies. Contact us online using our online tax enquiry form or alternatively call us today. We aim to ensure that our clients submit correct tax returns on time, avoiding penalties. Advance notice of rules and deadlines is our watchword and notification of liabilities, payment dates and amounts naturally follows. Additionally, we handle all Inland Revenue enquiries negotiating with the Revenue where necessary.

Where to get help with a tax problem

Many people find tax matters confusing, but there are ways of getting help. We have listed some of the most common ways of getting help below.

Your employer

If you have a tax problem and you are an employee, you may be able to get help about a tax code or PAYE from your employer.

Contacting your tax office

If the problem cannot be sorted out by talking to your employer, or looking on a website, the next step is to contact your tax office. Tax offices only deal with telephone and written enquiries and are not open to the public. If you need to see someone face-to-face, you will need to go to a Tax Enquiry Centre.

If you are employed, your tax office is the one that deals with your employer. It may be some distance from where you work. If you know your employer's tax reference number, you can use it to find the telephone number of the correct tax office. Go to the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website at www.hmrc.gov.uk. If you do not know the tax reference number, your employer must give it to you if you ask for it. Or look on your payslip, P45 or P60.

If you are self-employed, or not in employment, your tax office depends on where you live. Look for the contact details on any letters or forms that you have received from HMRC. Alternatively, you will find a tax office locator at: www.hmrc.gov.uk.

When you contact the tax office, you must be ready to quote your national insurance number and your employer's tax reference number.

Going to a Tax Enquiry Centre

You can speak to someone face-to-face at a Tax Enquiry Centre. Most Tax Enquiry Centres are accessible for disabled people and can provide induction loops, magnifiers to help you read the forms and crystal listening devices to help you if you are hard of hearing. If you need a sign language interpreter, or other interpretation services, these can be arranged.

We offer a range of solutions tailored to the tax needs of small business and companies. Please feel free to call us or apply online for advice.